Saturday, January 25, 2014

WRITER'S CONUNDRUM: GRAMMATICALLY CORRECT FRANKENSTEIN


Art versus the science of writing


I don't attend writing workshops. I don't want a book on "Writing for Dummies."

I do read author blogs and I do educate myself on writing great dialogues and the like - but not TOO much.
The reason? I have this awkward fear it will ruin my writing. Sure, learning more about plots and denouement and killer endings would improve my writing. I know this. But wouldn't it take the fun out of writing if I tried too hard? Moreover - and here is the crux of the matter - would it change my writing? Would my writing become less like one of my own flesh-and-blood children and more like a grammatically correct Frankenstein?

If I know too much about themes, antagonists, and symbolism, will the fun be sucked out of stories like the vampires that my English teachers proved to be? To put it in Hollywood terms: if I know how the special effects crew created a compelling scene, the magic of the movie is lost forever.

What do you think? I'd love to hear from you, even if you are an English teacher, as long as you promise to refrain from biting my jugular.


Keep writing & keep sharing! - Cronin Detzz

No comments:

Post a Comment